As a skincare clinic, we have noticed more women swim through the doors than men. While this is not odd, we think men should know better. We all have skin, men and women alike. There are many things we cannot afford to leave to chance.
We noticed most men come in for curative skincare procedures and less for preventive skin care. We think the opposite should be the case. After a few surveys, we discovered that men think they do not need skin care. They believe they have a “tough skin”. So why do they need skin care?
This article will answer this question.
Why Men Need Skin Care
- For the “Tough Skin”: Men are right to think that they have a tougher skin in comparison to women. This tougher skin is the more reason they need skin care. Their skin is 20-30% thicker than women’s. Thicker skin means that products need to more potent to penetrate down to the deeper levels of the dermis to create results. Men’s cleansers often feature extra cleansing agents to make sure the skin is cleaned all the way down through the pores. Extra cleansing agents and more potent serums featured in men’s skin care lines will also guarantee superior results to those with a product created for women, or a unisex skin care line.
- To Manage Aging: Men’s skin age later than women but when it starts aging, it ages more rapidly than women. It is abrupt. Starting a skin care routine earlier in life will help to make the natural aging process slower, continually treating the dermis layers to maintain their elasticity, collagen, and moisture prior to the onset of fine lines and wrinkles.
- The Skin beneath the Beard needs Attention: Many men battle with razor bumps and ingrown hair. Shaving exfoliates the skin, but it also weakens skin’s moisture barrier. This all adds up to increased irritation and dryness. Furthermore, men have more neuroreceptor sites per square inch of skin than women, making their skin susceptible to the irritation that comes with shaving. By using a skin type specific (dry, oily, normal, combination) cleanser, toner, moisturizer, and serums in conjunction with a daily shaving routine, skin irritation can see a dramatic decrease and the moisture barrier will restore itself. Also, exploring laser hair removal can help manage this irritation and ingrown hair challenges. The best part is, the results are long-lasting.
- The Sun knows no Gender:Ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun is the number-one cause of skin cancer. Too much exposure to ultraviolet or UV rays can cause sunburn. UV rays penetrate the outer skin layers and pass into the deeper layers, where they can damage or kill skin cells. Statistics show that men have a higher rate of skin cancer. Additionally, many women’s cosmetics have the benefit of creating a barrier to sun and environmental exposure. Also, some mineral make-ups have a natural SPF without the addition of topical sunscreen. Men need a daily moisturizer with SPF to decrease chances of skin cancer and protect from environmental exposure. This is especially important for men who work outdoors or spend many hours in a car, truck, or motorcycle.
- Your Testosterone is not Enough: Due to men’s testosterone being significantly higher than a women’s, they produce more oil in their skin naturally. However, they have much smaller oil glands than women and that makes men’s skin absorption challenged. This is why skin care products formulated specifically for men is so important as it features more concentrated and powerful cleansers and moisturizers to balance the natural oil production. Also, facials and routine skin care therapies are vital.