Acne also known as acne vulgaris is a skin condition which occurs when the hair follicles connecting the oil glands and the pores become plugged with dead skin cells, oil, bacteria and dirt. Acne develops when this occurs repeatedly. It can be found in various parts of the body such as the back, chest, shoulders but most common area is the face.
- A build up of bacteria in your pores
- An accumulation of dead skin cells in the pores
- Excess oil produced by the hair follicles
- A plug of skin cells, sebum (the oily liquid produced from the glands) and hair which gets infected with bacteria
- Hormonal factors such as a rise in androgen/estrogen levels. This is a type of hormone that rises during adolescence period. The oil glands is enlarged when this happens which can lead to excessive release of sebum.
- Women can also experience acne at the time of menstruation
- Physical and emotional stress
- Poor hygiene
- Reaction to certain foods, medications and skincare products.
The level of treatment needed depends on the severity of the Acne. Mild cases of Acne can easily be treated using;
Self-care and prevention
- Using a facial wash daily to remove and prevent excess oil and dirt buildup
- Washing your hands often to avoid transfer of dirt
- Not picking or squeezing out pimples as this could lead further worsen the condition
- Avoid touching your face often
- Change your pillowcase often to prevent the spread of bacteria
There are medications easily accessible without the need for a prescription that can be used to treat acne. These are usually present in washes, gels and creams.
- Salicylic acid – helps to prevent clogged pores
- Benzoyl peroxide – Useful for drying out existing pimples and to prevent new ones. Also helps to kill bacteria
- Resorcinal- Removes dead skin cells, breaks down blackheads and whiteheads
For more severe cases, it is recommended you visit a doctor for a more in-depth and targeted treatment after a complete diagnosis.
Here at Laserderm, we have a variety of successful procedures catered towards Acne including laser treatments, Dermeneedling, Facials etc. We also have products such as Clear cell range from IMAGE that is used to fight acne, blemishes and excess oil.
Have you ever had an Acne treatment before? What was your experience like?
Kindly drop your comments and any questions in the comments box below or contact our clinic for more information or a consultation.